Thursday, August 23, 2012

On a mission

I hate to throw out food.  First, it's a waste and second we're on a budget due to my new occupation.  So, my dilemma today is what today with leftover blackened tilapia?  There is always fish tacos, but they just don't sound great so I'm going to try for fish cakes.

Here's what ended up happening:

I mixed the fish (2-1/2 large fillets), with a chopped jalapeno and a banana pepper from the garden, chopped parsley, a little chopped onion, about a cup of crushed bread crumbs, the mashed filling out of two baked potatoes, salt, pepper, and 2 eggs. This mix made 4 large patties that I pan fried in a bit of safflower oil over medium heat.
I served them with hot mango chutney, sauteed greens, jalapeno corn muffins, and roasted red pepper and asparagus soup.  The husband liked the meal and the one year old loved the fish cakes (minus the chutney).  So, win-win.  We still have one fish cake left for lunch today then on to the next cooking extravaganza.  Maybe next time I'll remember to take pics!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment